Maya Angelou was a renowned writer, poet, and civil rights activist who inspired millions through her words. Born in 1928, Angelou faced racism, poverty, and trauma throughout her life. However, she never let her struggles hold her back or define her. Instead, she used her experiences to create powerful pieces that continue to resonate with people today. Here are ten of Maya Angelou’s most inspiring quotes that can help you navigate life’s challenges.
1. “I’ve Learned That People Will Forget What You Said, People Will Forget What You Did, but People Will Never Forget How You Made Them Feel.”
This quote highlights the importance of treating others with kindness and empathy. Maya Angelou believed that the way we make others feel is far more important than what we say or do. So, be mindful of your words and actions and always strive to leave a positive impact on those you encounter.
2. “If You Don’t Like Something, Change It. If You Can’t Change It, Change Your Attitude.”
Maya Angelou’s words remind us that we have the power to control our attitudes, even in difficult situations. If we can’t change the circumstances we’re in, we can change how we perceive them. This mindset shift can help us find new solutions and opportunities we may not have seen before.
3. “We May Encounter Many Defeats, but We Must Not Be Defeated.”
This quote is a testament to Maya Angelou’s resilience. She knew that life would throw challenges our way, but we should never give up. Instead, we must push through and keep moving forward, even when things seem impossible.
4. “Success Is Liking Yourself, Liking What You Do, and Liking How You Do It.”
Maya Angelou believed that true success is not just about external accomplishments but also about internal fulfillment. If you can find joy in what you do and how you do it, you can consider yourself successful.
5. “You Are the Sum Total of Everything You’ve Ever Seen, Heard, Eaten, Smelled, Been Told, Forgot – It’s All There.”
This quote reminds us that our experiences shape who we are. Maya Angelou believed that every moment of our lives influences us, whether we realize it or not. So, be mindful of the people and experiences you surround yourself with, as they can shape your character and beliefs.
6. “I’ve Learned That You Can Tell a Lot About a Person by the Way He/She Handles These Three Things: a Rainy Day, Lost Luggage, and Tangled Christmas Tree Lights.”
This quote speaks to the importance of resilience and adaptability. Life is unpredictable, and we will encounter unexpected challenges. How we handle them can reveal a lot about our character and mindset.
7. “Nothing Will Work Unless You Do.”
Maya Angelou’s words remind us that success requires effort and hard work. We can’t expect things to happen magically; we must make them happen through our actions and dedication.
8. “I’ve Learned That Making a Living Is Not the Same Thing as Making a Life.”
This quote encourages us to prioritize our values and passions. Maya Angelou believed that our purpose in life is not just to make money but to find meaning and fulfillment in our work and relationships.
9. “You May Encounter Many Defeats, but You Must Not Be Defeated.”
This quote is another reminder of the importance of resilience. We may experience setbacks and failures, but we should never let them defeat us. Instead, we must continue to persevere and grow from our experiences.
10. “I’ve Learned That People Will Forget What You Said, People Will Forget What You Did, but People Will Never Forget How You Made Them Feel.”
Maya Angelou’s words bear repeating. Our impact on others is far more important than any words or actions we take. So, strive to be kind, compassionate, and empathetic in all your interactions with others.
Maya Angelou’s words have touched countless lives and continue to inspire us today. Her wisdom reminds us of the power of resilience, empathy, and self-reflection. By embracing these values, we can navigate life’s challenges and find meaning and purpose in our journey.